Friday 19 June 2015

Cooper's Hawk, Kingfisher, Swallow And A Few Bee's - 17 June 2015

Went to the spot where I try to get photos of Belted Kingfishers and Northern Rough Winged Swallows on the 17th. I had just set up my collapsible stool and had just sat down when I heard a Kingfisher chatter close by.
A second later the Kingfisher burst from the trees fighting with another bird. The other bird fell into the river and I was surprised to see it was a Cooper's Hawk. The Kingfisher perched on a branch about 40 feet away, the Cooper's Hawk flew out of the river and landed on a branch several feet away where it was immediately beset by Northern Rough Winged Swallows.
The Cooper's Hawk didn't stick around long and flew off. The fight lasted but a few seconds, and the remainder of the incident lasted maybe 5 seconds.
I was able to get only a few really bad shots of the Hawk as I hadn't been able to set up the camera being that the action started as soon as I sat down and only lasted about 7 seconds. I also didn't have time to clear the weeds that were in the line of sight so they have blurred parts of the photo.

Cooper's Hawk just after it got out of the river

Belted Kingfisher shortly after the Hawk departed.








Northern Rough Winged Swallow

One of several Bee's that were buzzing around my feet







No comments:

Post a Comment