Saturday 24 March 2012

Bird Photos - March 24 2012

Friday was a washout for taking pictures.
Computer wouldn't boot, took me most of the morning to determine that the video card had failed.
Getting a quick replacement is not that easy living in the country without having to drive great distances. We lucked in and found a Gigabyte GT 430 in Winkler for a decent price. We picked it up and on the way home took the back roads. We saw around 10 Gray Partridges in one field and well over 100 Tundra Swan in another. Sadly we didn't think to take our cameras along.  But I do have a picture from a few years ago taken with an Olympus E510 and a 500 mm mirror lens. Not the best quality but trying to manual focus with the tiny viewfinder on the E510 was a real challenge.
New video card is better than my old BFG 8600 GT, always suspected either the video card was not up to snuff or the monitor, it actually appears both were not very good. Pictures seem a lot more crisp with the new video card, but, the same pictures displayed on our TV from the computer are still better than the pictures displayed on my Samsung 24 inch 245BW.
Installation was actually easy, only problem was that I couldn't get the video card to detect our TV. Turns out I had disconnected the DVI cable from the computer to the TV and had the old monitor DVI cable still connected to the monitor, so I had both VGA and DVI cables to the monitor and no cable to the TV. Once I corrected this the TV was detected and displayed a much better image than my monitor.
 Tundra Swan +100 yards E510 500mm mirror lens
 Swainson's Hawk +200 feet T1i Tamron 70-300 VC
Wood Ducks in a tree 40 feet T1i 500mm mirror lens, there was also a Mallard to their right but I wasn't quick enough to get a picture before they all flew off

No comments:

Post a Comment