Thursday 29 March 2012

Bird Photos - March 29 2012

Finally got out Thursday as the weather had improved, went for our usual walk but saw very few birds. Lots more Robins and Grackles have appeared in the last week, the Dark eyed Junco's are still around but their numbers seem to be thinning.
When I went to take my first picture I discovered my battery was dead, rather frustrated, but not as frustrated as the time we drove over an hour and I discovered I had left my battery at home in the charger. Sadly the T2i and T1i use different types of batteries so we couldn't even swap batteries when I wanted to take a picture.

We did see close to 20 Robin's flying to and from a tree, most likely feeding on berries. As I would think food would be in short supply for them this past week as it has been so cold. Posted the picture, reduced from over 8 megs to 850 kb. I counted 8 Robin's in the tree although there were many more on the ground and in nearby trees.
Raining today so next likely outing won't be until early next week.

T2i Canon 100mm f2.8 25 feet
Top left Robin Crop 

A few pictures of birds we have seen in the past
Eurasian Collared Dove - Showed up at our feeders late last summer. Interesting story on how they spread through North America, as far north as Alaska I've heard. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/eurasian_collared-dove/id
 Goose display - Part of a series of pictures of a Goose fight we witnessed at Fort Whyte Center
Harris's Sparrow - Started showing up at our feeders 3 years ago, last year we had 6 or 7 at our feeders for a week while they waited out bad weather. Once the weather cleared they were all gone in about 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment