Saturday 7 April 2012

Bird Photos - April 7 2012

Busy week for us, we managed to get out to the lake and to Fort Whyte Center and a couple of walks just out of town. Saw some more migratory birds, but, the last 3 days have been taken up with yard work, in particular hedge trimming which I hope too finish today. Our hedge is Chinese Elm, it grows like a weed, about 7 feet over the summer. It is a large hedge and takes 1 to 2 days to trim and clean up the cuttings, which are substantial. We get a number of birds nesting in the hedge, last few years I've seen a House Wren, Brown Thrasher, House Sparrows and Robins flying in and out of the hedge. Every year when we trim we find 3 to four nests. I doubt that there will be any birds nesting in the hedge this year as I have trimmed it back a lot and I doubt the hedge will recover in time for nesting this year.
Hope to go through and post some of the pictures from our recent outings today or tomorrow. Witnessed another Goose fight at Fort Whyte, it involved 5 geese.
I suspect I am missing new arrivals this last week with our outings and yard work. Hope to get out for a walk real soon.
Here are a few of Rose's photos from the past.
 Pelican
 Turkey
 Wilson's Phalarope
Baltimore Oriole
 House Finch 
 Lincoln's Sparrow
Rose Breasted Grosbeak

No comments:

Post a Comment