Friday 1 April 2016

Tamron 150-600 with Nikon D3300 Part 3 - 1 April 2016

Found a way to carry the weighty Tamron 150-600 lens with little to no stress on the arms, shoulders or back.
I carried in this fashion for an hour and a half on a nature walk and had a little lower back ache but my back is sore to some degree most of the time anyways.
During the walk I was climbing up and down hills and river banks and walking through brush with no difficulty.
The camera bag is a Lowepro TX500.

When I don't feel the need to have the camera in a hurry I carry it in the bag. This camera bag is quite a bit shorter than the lens but the camera fits snugly in the bag. I also used the camera neck strap just in case the camera decides to leap out of the bag. It does take a few seconds to get the camera out of the bag and up to eye level. Note the lens hood is not attached.

When I think I might have to make quicker shots I carry the camera cradled in one arm with the camera resting on top of the camera bag. This bag has a reasonably solid top.

Nikon D3300
So far I am quite pleased with the D3300. For a camera at its price point it functions very well.
My only beef with it is the command dial on the back of the camera. Had my local camera store had one in stock for me to try out I likely would have looked at other brands of cameras.
The camera is so small that my thumb rests over part of the command dial and I often inadvertently press the dial moving the focus point. I cannot find a way of setting the focus point so it cannot be moved. I often go to take a photo and find that the focus point has been moved from the center focus dot to one of the several focus dots on the right side of the viewfinder. This means I have to stop and select the center focus point which eats up time which means I miss shots. The focus dots in the viewfinder are not very bright and in bright sunlight you sometimes cannot see the focus point flash which also means the focus point could have moved. You can see the selected focus point on the rear screen but again that takes up time.
From looking at the Nikon cameras on line it would seem that one would have to move up to the D7100 or D7200 to either get a smaller command dial or larger camera so that this would not be a problem.
I might try gluing a small ridge next to the command dial in hopes that it will prevent this from happening in future.
Not a great photo but I think it adequately displays the problem. If you are moving or twisting while taking photos the chances of pressing the command dial become much greater. My hands would be of average size.

No comments:

Post a Comment